Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Things I haven't done in years! and Blessed

Having Indy has given me the opportunity to do things I haven't been able to do in years. Things like eat in at a restaurant during near peak hours, or go to the horse races, and new things like go into the library by myself.

I couldn't have done these things before him because of sensory reasons and anxiety reasons. but now with him I'm trying new things.

It isn't always easy though. Like when we went into the library just the two of us to make a quick pick up because I had something on hold. We were waiting in line and a young gentleman comes up and just starts petting him. I'm not exactly proud of the way I handled it I say that right now although my folks say I did alright. I asked him to stop distracting my dog because he was working. And then I told him that distracting someones service dog could put them at jeopardy. Although it isn't an excuse in my defense it had been a very long day.

That same day though I ate in at McDonald's for the first time in YEARS.

On the weekend we went to the local racetrack to be at a fundraiser for the therapeutic stable I ride at. I hadn't been to the race's in years and to think when I was ten I'd had dad tripling my allowance. I couldn't handle the races they were too loud but I stayed at the booth and lasted the whole fundraiser. Indy did wonderful! He barked once when he saw the horses but we told him he couldn't do that and he completely ignored the untrained dog who wanted to play with him.

He has done so much for me and it's just been over a week. Not only is he a wonderful service dog but he makes a great pillow and foot rest. using him for a foot rest is a great way to stay grounded instead of going into that little world of my own that autism spectrum disorders are so famous for. I am so thankful for him. Thankful to and for his trainer. Thankful to the organization that paid the 7 500 for him and Paid for the fence and is paying for the trainer to come and make a follow up visit in a few months. I'm blessed.


Chloe and Indy

3 comments:

  1. What a great blog you have Chloe! I love the title and the line underneath it. I look forward to reading it and learning from you as we go along on the journey toward Riley's dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We think he's cute to I should put up a picture of him "dressed" he is soo handsome But then I'm biased. I can't wait for Riley to get her dog!

    ReplyDelete