Sunday, July 4, 2010

My apologies

Long time no type I'm sorry. But I've been super busy. Volunteering at the cancer society rolling coin. getting ready and then going to summer camp. actually I just got back from camp on Saturday. But you'll get a longer post on that later.
My topic tonight is explaining. I made a friend at camp, who only lives five hours away so that's not too far. But with new friends especially friends not on the spectrum come questions. They come from the friend and from the friends parent's because said friend is in a situation similar to me with what I believe to be different diagnoses.
So how do I explain Chloe? One thing is like my friend Lydia from Autistic Speaks I sound different on paper I sound more collected. I don't stammer and stutter on paper. In person I'm shy. and I hide behind other people I know like my mama, sister, or aide. I have mild cerebral Palsy but it's not severe enough to put me in a wheelchair. I still deal with the after affects of a conversion disorder, so I use a walker or cane at times, though I am also sometimes capable of being mobile on my own power. In fact I played a couple games of tag at camp this weekend as proof. I have Asthma but I'm able to handle it mostly independently with only a little bit of help. Is this the explanation that is needed or do we need another one? if anyone has had to explain their special needs or their child's help would be appreciated!

Chloe and Indy

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish we didn't have to explain, and that everyone would just be accepted for all the wonder and glory they are, until then, I think disclosure is the key to understanding. I might add when disclosing along with the diagnosis,' what that means for you.

    Riley has Asperger's. She's extremely sensitive. What that means for her is...

    That kind of thing.

    I hope you had a wonderful time at camp! And more to come. Go Chloe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Suggestions! Thanks so much Michelle :-) For us this is a first - the explaining. This for the most part is because of a very late diagnosis for Chloe. The other part is that she's not really been invited to a friend's to visit for a looong time. At first I was confused about the need to explain but my awesome girl reminded me that I would likely be looking for helpful information if/when this wonderful person visits us.

    Many Thanks!

    ReplyDelete