Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Aspergers and the Public School System.

I went to public school for eight years. For all of those years I was undiagnosed. To put it bluntly it was AWFUL. I had regular meltdowns, but they wouldn't tell my parents. Although I have the original involved parents. They talked to my teachers regularly, the teachers never told them anything. We're pretty sure my grades were fudged. I was belittled by the other kids who liked to make me feel worthless. The bullying was so bad that my folks went behind my back to the principal. Even then I was then one who got punished. If my parents talked to someone it made things worse for me.
I'm not writing about this to upset anyone but if people read about my experiences, maybe it'll help them somehow.
My parents pulled me out of public school after grade 7 and put me into a catholic cyber school where I stayed for 3 years. I enjoyed the rest of Junior high well as much as any kid can. Then I hit my educational plateau in grade 10.
We later found out from Dr.s that I shouldn't have made it through elementary school, let alone Jr. or Sr. high.
I did eventually end up in a special Ed class at the local public high school. But that did not really work either. And I was pulled just before the end of the year.

Chloe and Indy

2 comments:

  1. That must have been so hard going through school with no staff support and experiencing bullying. No person should ever have to endure that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was life at the time I didn't know any different. The only reason I wrote about so parents could see a perspective from the "inside" so to speak.

    ReplyDelete